‘Spaghetti is Constie’s favourite’ Adrianna mentioned during our Saturday morning brunch at Bandida’s. She was referring to a mountain of spaghetti her six-year-old daughter Constie, short for Constance, had the night prior. Seeing her face lit up as Adrianna and I continued our talk about this classic Italian dish, inspired me. It’s been about seven years since I last made spaghetti with a bolognese sauce. In the past, I would use Yves Veggie Ground Round. However, as my endometriosis worsened, I became intolerant to both gluten and soy – the two main components in the veggie ground round. Luckily, Beyond Meat exists in the world now! Granted while here in Canada we are still waiting for the full product line which includes Beyond Beef, I simply disassemble the Beyond Burgers.
Usually, I would make my own tomato sauce. However some days, there is only enough time and energy to open the jar. Please don’t judge me for my nausea. Besides, Ciarán had picked up some tomato sauce earlier in the week almost as though he anticipated my creativity! I had also picked up some Garofalo’s Gluten-Free Spaghetti on my way home after the brunch which inspired it all, and as always there’s Beyond Burgers in our fridge/freezer. House rules. I had everything required to make Spaghetti Bolognese for the first time in seven years!
Along with Constie, this delectable and straightforward dish has inspired me to create a more traditional bolognese sauce from scratch on my next good day. Stay tuned for that recipe!
Beyond Spaghetti Bolognese – Fast Edition
Serves: 4-6 | Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 Beyond Meat Burgers or Ground Beef (if available in your region)
- 1 jar of tomato sauce
- 1 lb Gluten Free Spaghetti
- Season your beyond burgers with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Meanwhile, heat up your pan over medium heat before adding in your beyond burgers. I like to place the beyond burgers in the pan whole and then slowly break them apart as they cook. Ciarán on the other hand, likes to chop them up before cooking. The preference is yours!
- Once the burger ‘meat’ is browned, about 6 minutes, pour in your tomato sauce. Allow to bubble before covering and bringing to a simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- As the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil before adding salt and the spaghetti. Cook spaghetti until tender. Time will vary based on brand used – follow directions as specified.
- Rinse spaghetti before combining with your bolognese sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
PRO TIP: Toss spaghetti in either EVOO or vegan butter before combining with the bolognese sauce.