🌮Move over Taco Tuesday – Taco Thursday is here to stay!🌮
My insanely talented friend Renée happened to be over last Thursday as we decided it was time to stop taco-ing* about filming my recipes and get to it already. As the endo pain was rendering me relatively useless, I decided to make a simpler recipe. I wanted something I would be able to prepare and then rest while it was cooking away. Took a glance in our fridge and realized, we had everything needed for my classic BBQ Pulled Jackfruit, but this time, I was going to add a small twist – turmeric and jalapeños.
I wanted turmeric for additional antioxidants and anti-inflammatory power along with the ginger to help combat my growing bloat known as ‘endo belly’. The jalapeños gave the dish a touch of brightness before the heat. I then rounded the flavours by topping the tacos with avocado and cherry tomatoes tossed in sesame oil. Also added some crispy jackfruit, cooked in the oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes tossed in olive oil, for additional texture. 🤤🌮🙌
Served this atop warm soft corn tortillas. So delicious, I was sad we didn’t have more corn tortillas! Watch the video here!
Note: If you are unable to find canned jackfruit, I have also successfully used Upton Naturals Shredded Jackfruit.
*taco-ing pun credit to Renée
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Tacos
Serves 4-6 | Total Time 45 Minutes
- 6-8 soft corn tortillas
- 2 cans of young jackfruit (or 2 packages of Upton Naturals Plain Shredded Jackfruit)
- 1 tbsp soy-free butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño (keep seeds in for more heat) (or 1 tbsp of chopped pickled jalapeños)
- 1-2 inch fresh ginger
- 1-2 inch fresh turmeric
- 1/4 cup scotch
- 1 796 mL can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit in a strainer. Cut the triangle tip (the core) and discard. I like to roughly dice the remainder of the jackfruit however it is not required.
- Dice the shallot, ginger, turmeric, jalapeño(s) and garlic.
- Over medium heat, melt the soy-free butter in your large nonstick skillet. Add in the diced garlic and shallot.
- Once soft, about 3-5 minutes, add in the diced ginger, turmeric, jalapeño(s) and pour in the scotch.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes before adding the can of crushed tomatoes and salt. Reduce for 10 to 15 minutes before adding in the molasses, maple syrup, liquid smoke and nutmeg.
- Once the sauce boils and bubbles add in the diced jackfruit. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop the avocado and cherry tomatoes. Toss into a bowl with the sesame oil. Let marinade until ready to serve.
- Turn off heat and remove the lid to allow the BBQ sauce to further reduce – about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the BBQ Pulled Jackfruit on warm corn tortillas, top with the avocado and cherry tomatoes and enjoy!