I love brussel sprouts. Their bitter-sweet flavour mixed with the nutty, broccoli and cabbage notes, make them the a great side dish. Normally I enjoy them steamed with a quick satué with some soy-free butter and garlic. However, with the rain today, I was craving some roasted goodness.
It seems most restaurants will serve roasted brussel sprouts with bacon or smoked tofu to round out the flavour with smoke. Needing to avoid the bacon or tofu, I decided to use of liquid smoke to provide the smokey flavour without needing to add an animal product or soy.
Roasted Smoked Brussel Sprouts
- 14-20 brussel sprouts
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Nutritional yeast for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut the brussel sprouts in half.
- Pour oil, liquid smoke and salt into medium sized bowl before adding in the brussel sprouts. Toss to ensure each sprout is evenly coated.
- Place the brussel sprouts face down on a foil-lined baking sheet and place them into the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes, remove from oven and flip the brussel sprouts face up.
- Sprinkle some nutritional yeast atop before placing back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!